Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Why I never give money.. and no longer food... to BUMS

I consider myself a charitable person...I always donate when I can - mostly to Lung Cancer, Make A Wish, Chi Omega.. etc. My minor is in Non-profit studies, I work for a non-profit, and am usually a compassionate person... That being said.... the rest of this blog post may not be PC.  

Monday night Bo & I were on our way to dinner.  We were at a stop light pulling onto I-540 and there was a very unfortunate looking bum begging on the median.  He saw my NC State license plate and happened to have a Disney Big Bad Wolf t-shirt on - the bum then started pointing to my license plate, and strutting his WOLF t-shirt.  Bo and I thought it was pretty funny and so me being the 'charitable' person  I am felt the need to give him my emergency snacks in my glove box. 


I decided to give the bum some food - I rolled down my window less than half way and put the cheese-its and granola bar out the window and the Bum TOOK OFF his shirt and threw it in my window!!!! and said he wanted me to have his shirt - (You can't make this stuff up).  I threw it back out the window as FAST as possible along with the snacks and then the light turned GREEN and I was OUT of there!  


Need less to say I had the HE-BE- G-BEs  after touching that nasty shirt --- and of course BO was LAUGHING hysterically at me. Let's just said, I washed my hands a FEW times.  


On a Semi Serious note - My sophomore year in college my roomie, Diana told me not to look at bums when we went to NYC - Well Diana, you were right no more looking at or giving food to bums, I promise! 


But on a real serious note - I think there are great programs out there for homeless people - Salvation Army is a wonderful one for example - and there needs to be more done for them -however, I do not believe in people begging in this country and do not feel that it is necessary.  I know what you are saying - there are many reasons why people are homeless - alcohol, drugs, economy etc. - well why should I give you money - I would much rather give you food, teach you a skill and a new set of clothes - Systemic change people... not alcohol funding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment