Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Join me for a few miles?


Dear Family & Friends,
I hope everyone is doing well! I wanted to reach out again to let you know about my new hobby – Running.  In January, I decided instead of always asking people for donations for Free to Breathe and not being able to even run a mile I would put my money where my mouth is and train.  In May, I completed my first 5K race in 31:29! Not too bad for my first race!  Thank you to everyone who donated to the Free to Breathe Charlotte and supported me along the way!   I have continued to run and am now working towards a 10K in October!  I won’t be fundraising for that one but I am really excited about it!   


However, I can’t let the fall go by without fundraising/nagging/asking you to join me! This fall I am participating in TWO 5Ks.  I will be running in both and would like to invite you to join me! You can run/walk or even just make a donation. There is a 5K & a 1 mile option.  I also will be doing a few FUNdraisers along the way including a Silpada Jewelry Party on Oct 10 and a Wine and Design night (Stay tuned for the date!).  If you are interested in either of those please let me know!

 WHY?



As many of you know my dad passed away from lung cancer in 2005.  After his death I became educated on lung cancer. To be honest when Beth, a lung cancer survivor came up to me and gave a sheet with statistics I thought she was loony – there was no way these AWFUL statistics could be true.  Unfortunately they are reality.  Lung cancer takes more lives than breast, colon and prostate cancers COMBINED.  (Essentially a jumbo jet crashing EVERY DAY is how many people lose their battle with lung cancer EVERYT DAY!) It is also the least federally funded which is unacceptable.  The stigma attached to this disease has made the fight even harder- NO one deserves lung cancer.  Since joining the NC Lung Cancer Partnership I have been privileged to meet a few other lung cancer survivors. They are my inspiration to continue to be passionate about this cause.  The new treatments and research going on are fascinating.  There cannot be progress without research – and unfortunately research takes money.  I urge you to join me in this fight.  To read more about how your money will be used please click here.   The National Lung Cancer Partnership (NC is a chapter) has a 4 star charity navigator rating, which is the best.  

Where do I sign up?
1.       Free to Breathe Raleigh, November 3 at North Hills – Team Nothin’ Fancy - http://participate.freetobreathe.org/goto/NF2012 (there has been interest in t-shirts?!)
2.       Free to Breathe Greensboro, November 10 at NewBridge Bank Park – I have joined my friend Laura’s team – Born to Run – Here is my personal page: http://participate.freetobreathe.org/site/TR/RunWalk/General/627434391?px=1004326&pg=personal&fr_id=1661

       Please help me by passing this along to anyone who you think may be interested in joining us!


Thank you all for your continued support as I continue my new hobby!
Love,
Heather 

No comments:

Post a Comment