Thursday, September 1, 2011

"There's an app for that. It's called compassion''

'Tis that time of year again! The time where my nagging skills come out and I ask you all to spend (at least) $10 on lung cancer research in support of my Free to Breathe Raleigh team - Nothin' Fancy  - In memory of my dad, Don Gill.

Why this cause?!

I was a college sophomore at North Carolina State University.  I loved school, I was active on campus and I was embracing college life.  Then the train hit, my dad had not been feeling well and the doctors did a basic chest x-ray and found a 14cm in-operable mass on his lung—lung cancer. The day they told me is one of the worst days of my life.  My daddy, the strongest man I knew, had lung cancer and they only gave him 8 months to a year.  My world was turned upside down.  He fought hard but passed away only 3 short months after diagnosis.  I knew I had to make a difference, not only for lung cancer patients like my father, but for their daughters. So they have their fathers there to see them graduate college, walk them down the aisle at their wedding or be a grandfather to their children.  No one deserves lung cancer and no one deserves to lose a parent from lung cancer. 


That is why you can join me in making a difference for all those affected by lung cancer in coming out or supporting the Free to Breathe 5K Run/Walk & Rally on November 5 at North Hills in Raleigh.  My goal is to raise $1,000.  Won't you consider donating $10, $20 or even more? 


My team page: Nothin' Fancy 
___ 

**PS This article came out recently and it is excellent - thought I would share. Really puts an interesting perspective on things. 


The Last Refrigerator by Rob Densen
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rob-densen/the-last-refrigerator_b_941286.html?ref=fb&src=sp

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written -- I love you with all my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. XOXO to you and Daddy Gill and everyone in Nothin' Fancy!

    ReplyDelete